CenUSA Bioenergy Extension and Outreach
Economics & Decision Tools Team
The team will target producers to stimulate the adoption of perennial grass production and the pyrolytic conversion of biomass to biofuel. The team will also promote the utilization of biochar as a soil amendment.
- Mike Duffy, Iowa State University
- Tim Eggers, Iowa State University
- Chad Hart, Iowa State University
- Jim Jensen, Iowa State University
- Ann Johanns, Iowa State University
- Bill Lazarus, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Chad Martin, Purdue University
- Richard Perrin, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- Bob Wells, Iowa State University
This Team's activities will take place primarily from 2013-2016 (CenUSA Project Years 3-5).
- Presentation of data from on-farm perennial grass demonstrations and biochar trials.
- Four (4) web- and/or PC-based whole-farm decision tools.
- Develop Web and/or PC-based decision support tools to analyze economics associated with use of biochar as a soil amendment.
- 60 demonstrations of decision tools illustrating use of decision tools.
- 25 training programs for educators and crop consultants demonstrating the use of decision tools.
300 agricultural producers will learn to make informed economic decisions decisions concerning perennial grasses and biochar utilizing CenUSA developed decision tools.
- 50 producers will compare their perennial grass production costs and returns with other producers using farm business management summary.
Possibilities for Aviation Biofuels in the Midwest (Chad Martin, Keith Johnson & Patrick Murphy)
This brief (1-page) report provides information on the attitudes of attendees at an educational meeting showcasing biofuels research and the possibility of wide-scale adoption of biofuel by the aviation industry. (January 2013)